Flitwick Baptist Church started in 1907, when Flitwick was a small rural village, very different from the town we know today.
Before the church was established, local Christian believers travelled each Sunday (usually on foot) to worship in neighbouring villages. They came to realise that their witness in Flitwick would be far more effective if they had a focal point in the village, so got together to found the church. A wealthy local Christian gave the land, and a building was erected; it was designed as a Sunday School, with the intention of enlarging it into a church later. However, a full range of church activities was held on the site from the start, and it was to be some 70 years before any building extension took place.
After the setback of the First World War, the church became lively and active in the 1930s. During the Second World War it helped care for the influx of refugee children from London.
As Flitwick started to grow from a village into a town in the 1950s and 60s, the church grew in numbers too, partly because members started systematic door-to-door visitation in the new housing estates. To keep pace, the buildings were extended in the 1970s and subsequently in the 1990s, when they reached their present form.
In the 1970s, the church ended its affiliation to the Baptist Union, and joined with other like-minded churches in the Fellowship of Independent Evangelical Churches (FIEC).
Pastor Michael Teutsch, who had been at the church since 1998, left us in summer 2017 to move to a new ministry in Cardiff, while Pastor Bob Cain continues with us; he was recognised in this ministry in 2013 after serving the church for many years as an active member. We currently seek God's guidance and will in appointing a new Pastor.